Here are ten simple pleasures you can enjoy with your children this month.
1. Ask your child to read a book to you. Younger children can look at the pictures and describe what's going on in the book. Older children can read a current chapter in the book they are reading.
2. Make a Back-to-School time capsule with each child. This is a great tradition for the first week of school. Over the years, you'll have an album of memories that really tells a story. Here are instructions and ideas on things to include at the Family Fun website: http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/feature/famf89school/famf89school4.html
3. Choose one Saturday this month to be Kids' Day. For one day this month, they choose what to eat for meals, when to get dressed, what to do?
4. Ask each family member to start a gratitude journal. Younger children can draw pictures instead of words.
5. Make a big bowl of popcorn, gather pillows, dim the lights and splurge on a Pay-Per-View kids movie.
6. Take a walk with your children and let them decide the pace, as well as where to go. Allow them to linger over a stream or a single flower if they wish. Budget a lot more time for this than you might think you need so you're sure to be unhurried and relaxed.
7. Plan a short bit of "special time" with each child?.an hour or so to connect over hot cocoa or lemonade. Ask them about new friendships and express a genuine interest in their social lives at the beginning of this school year.
8. Take an art class with your child.
9. Blast music when you all are doing chores together.
10. Start working on homemade holiday gifts together. Now is the time to make some headway on those fun projects ? and still be relaxed enough to enjoy the process.
Susie Cortright is the founder of momscape.com - http://www.momscape.com and Momscape's Scrapbooking Playground - http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking -devoted to helping visitors record and preserve their cherished memories. Visit her site today to subscribe to her free newsletters.
Despite the potentially dangerous side-effects of Ritalin, public school authorities... Read More
Strollers offer a wonderful and convenient service to parents and... Read More
My son is 6 yrs old. He came home the... Read More
As a parent is seems that the majority of your... Read More
WHEN AN INJURY HAPPENS AT CAMP, HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED... Read More
Many reasons will cause some people to feel the need... Read More
The purpose of this article is to address some of... Read More
Q. With the school year just beginning, what can we... Read More
We were all teens at one time for some many... Read More
Although it might seem pretty corny to a lot of... Read More
One of the few decisions you'll make during pregnancy that... Read More
What would it be like to have a clone? What... Read More
Recently I took my two children to a popular new... Read More
Part of the responsibility of being a father is to... Read More
My daughters and I went to the beach several weeks... Read More
Incest is sexual activity, ranging from fondling to intercourse, between... Read More
Rule #1 Make Every Bite Count!Everything your child eats should... Read More
In today's mental health system there is a pattern of... Read More
You send your child to school and the teachers teach... Read More
It was blisteringly hot last Saturday. As I took that... Read More
You know that children can get into trouble. The older... Read More
If you are like most people today, you do not... Read More
Mother's Day is important for children.This Mother's Day take note... Read More
Home schooling. What is it? What does it mean to... Read More
Although many children are picky eaters at some stage in... Read More
Much has been said about the "gifted child" but in... Read More
A while ago I received this story from David in... Read More
Encouragement comes when you focus on your child's assets and... Read More
Dear Sir, It was with some interest that I read... Read More
Julia Roberts recently gave birth to twins: Hazel and Phinnaeus.... Read More
One of the most difficult parts of being a father... Read More
As parents and teachers, sometimes we want to praise, at... Read More
Quite simply, an absolute nightmare for parents and babies alike,... Read More
(Isaiah 11:6 KJV) The wolf also shall dwell with the... Read More
Plus size children and overweight children need patterns and clothing... Read More
To the untrained eye, it might look like a piece... Read More
If your child or teen has been diagnosed with Attention... Read More
Here is an easy, inexpensive and fun kid experiment for... Read More
To protect children's self-esteem or deflect complaints by parents, many... Read More
The hot new reality TV show "Nanny 911" has been... Read More
Blink. That's all we did, blink, and summer is ending... Read More
As our children grow, they will be going to schools... Read More
One of the most powerful tools that parents have for... Read More
Here in Kansas, where we live, the leaves are turning... Read More
Drivers 16 years of age have little driving experience, putting... Read More
When your child shows signs of potty training readiness, it's... Read More
All too often, children with learning disabilities are seen through... Read More
Some public schools try to turn children against their parents... Read More
Beyond cases reported to authorities, little knowledge exists on the... Read More
This past holiday season Canadians spent over $45 billion-with parents... Read More