It's a fact of life - if you want to succeed in business, you need to know how to interact and communicate effectively with your employees, business partners, vendors, prospects, and customers. As a small business owner, this might involve rapid shifting from one type of language to another. For example, how you'd explain your expectations to your employees might be different than how you'd convey these to your business partner or potential client.
As we all know, sometimes language breaks down, and communication grinds to a halt. This can leave the owner feeling irritable, angry, frustrated... and with a desire to vent to his/her employees or staff.
While there may be instances that such sharing would be appropriate or helpful, there are many instances where this is not the case, and venting anyway may result in a significant loss of credibility and respect from key employees and contacts.
So, what are some effective ways to manage emotions in the work place environment?
1. Good self-care is the best medicine. An employer who tends to his/her own physical, emotional and mental needs, regularly, is going to be more adept at managing negative or hostile emotions at work. Start with adequate sleep, good nutrition, and regular exercise.
2. Know what anger and frustration feels like to you - both in your head and in your body. Sometimes, we can get really "cut off" from our feelings and act rashly without knowing why. Spend some time knowing what anger feels like to you, and where you notice it in your body.
3. Take a 10 minute walk. When you desire to "vent", excuse yourself from the office and take a brisk 10 minute walk around the parking lot or neighborhood. This will clear your mind and may save you from losing your temper.
4. Vent to a mentor, coach, or trusted colleague. The act of sharing your frustration and fears will calm you down. These people can support you and help you move forward.
5. Ask, "What am I afraid of?". Most often, anger or frustration appears when one of our fears has been activated. By going directly for the source of your feelings, you may be able to short-circuit them.
6. Make an exhaustive "do not want" list. In this list, you write down everything you do NOT want in the situation such as "to look foolish", "to be unprepared", etc.. Once you write this all down - ALL OF IT- you will clear your mind and be ready to generate productive solutions.
7. Distract yourself. Sometimes, getting your mind off the upsetting subject is enough to calm you down. Consider closing your door and playing computer games or something equally mindless (but absorbing). Shifting your focus will shift your attitude.
8. Ask, "What's working about this situation?" This tip comes from Kurt Wright's book, "Breaking the Rules", and suggests that we all can manage stress better if we start looking at "what's working" rather than "what's wrong". Many times, communication breakdowns or glitches can show you where better systems need to be created and placed and ultimately, will enhance the viability of your organization.
9. Take an action. Sometimes, when one piece of the business plan isn't moving, it may mean that another part is ready to be acted upon. Rather than feeling annoyed and frustrated, transform that energy into positive movement forward, where you can.
10. Make a strong request. If you would like something to be different, start the process of making it so. Contact key people, letting them know that you'd like to work on the impasse, and make your needs and those of your business known. Sometimes, just communicating about your desires in the form of an appropriate request can move situations along.
Regular use of these tips will help you stay well balanced & happy as your business grows and flourishes. Try them and see!
© 2003. Dr. Rachna D. Jain. All Rights in All Media Reserved.
About The Author
Dr. Rachna D. Jain is a sales and marketing coach and Director of Operations for SalesCoachTraining.com. Sign up for her free email newsletter, "Sales & Marketing Secrets" To learn more or to contact Dr. Jain directly, please visit http://www.SalesandMarketingCoach.com
Once upon a time, I was a vibrant, youthful teenager...My... Read More
Water is an important tool for magic rituals in many... Read More
Your response (reaction?) to change is conditioned by your entire... Read More
In talking with a coaching client recently, she made a... Read More
Do you feel that your negative thoughts are holding you... Read More
I'm often asked how it is that I stay so... Read More
Unhappy? Stressed out? Do you feel you not only want... Read More
The one thing that is absolutely vital to overcoming shyness... Read More
How many times have you heard someone say, "Hey, cheer... Read More
A balanced life not only leaves you feeling more fulfilled;... Read More
In his all-time bestselling record The Strangest Secret, author Earl... Read More
A rager, or rageaholic, is a person who is addicted... Read More
This week's wisdom is on the power of living in... Read More
Know thyself.These words were inscribed in the vestibule of the... Read More
A day in your life is a brief and precious... Read More
Humans tend to categorize things by large or small, bright... Read More
There is no such thing as failure ? only feedback... Read More
Near the end of December 2004, I received an email... Read More
I heard these words from a client who had been... Read More
The Alchemists of old worked over many years, centuries, in... Read More
Our thoughts define who we are. They can make us... Read More
So what is a limiting belief?Don't you love the current... Read More
There is a wonderful story about the famous escape artist,... Read More
Turn negative thoughts into positive ones.Negative thoughts can be very... Read More
One of our most active senses is sight. What we... Read More
"Every prayer - every thought, every statement, every feeling -is... Read More
When you have a case of FABS, it may be... Read More
I just heard the story of a man who hired... Read More
As a financial economist my motivation has long been to... Read More
Drinking damages the soul; being lustful damages the vitality; greed... Read More
I am often astounded at what and why people believe... Read More
Are you completely happy in your life right now? Honestly?... Read More
Know your limits. Accept what you can't change and let... Read More
I am an educator as well as a coach and... Read More
Today, I wanted to mention this notion of self-sabotage.I recently... Read More
The fear of success is more common than some might... Read More
There are many stories of people injuring themselves, and others,... Read More
In the latest and final Star Wars saga, Anakin Skywalker... Read More
Did you know that the 911 equivalent in the UK... Read More
The universe is vast, it's dimensions inconceivable, it's potentialities unimaginable,... Read More
Aging is a matter of the mind.The years may creep... Read More
Have you heard of the FABS? The FABS are quadruplets;... Read More
Why do we help others? There is a whole lot... Read More
Hey gang; Ok it's time to create some good habits.... Read More
When we were children, we were fearless. We would stick... Read More
In the self-help and wellness industry, a mission has been... Read More
Life shouldn't be so complicated. Have you ever wondered why... Read More
"At birth, a baby's brain contains 100 billion neurons, roughly... Read More
Smart folk have always realised how vital it is to... Read More
Why do we have such a downer on Pollyanna? After... Read More
Positive Attitude Tips Positive Attitude Tips