Despite the current wave of identity theft and corporate security breaches it's amazing how very few people treat their passwords with any level of seriousness. Most computers users, both at home and in the office, see passwords as a nuisance and therefore make them as easy to remember as possible. This can be a catastrophic mistake.
There are certain specific guidelines you need to follow to choose a safe and secure password. Use the following tips as a "how to" on making your password secure.
1. Your password must be alphanumeric. That simply means a mixture of numbers and letters such as xpf2778z. Why? When a hacker tries to break into a system they often use what are called dictionary or brute force hacks. A dictionary hack is an application that simply uses standard words and word combinations in an attempt to guess your password. For example many computer users use the word "password" as their actual password. A dictionary hack would crack that password in a few moments. Using alphanumeric passwords increases the number of possible password combinations by millions.
2. It should be 6 - 8 characters in length. The longer the password the harder it is for a hacking program to get around. If your password was abc then there are 6 possible password combinations. If your password was abc123 there are now over 720 password combinations possible. If your password was abc1234 there are now almost 6,000 possible combinations. Never, ever use a short password only comprised of letters.
3. Never use personal details in your password. People often use their home address, their age, husband or wives name, their social security number or their date of birth. These are incredibly easy to get access to by either a fellow employee or potential system hacker. Your password needs to be secure and hard to guess and personal details meet neither of these criteria.
4. Do not write your password down anywhere. Keeping a record of your password for somebody to find is as dangerous as keeping a copy of your ATM pin number in your wallet beside your ATM card. Create a memorable password that you'll have no problem recalling. This is not as hard as it sounds and if you jot some password ideas down you'll quickly come up with some good ones. Obviously burn the piece of paper you jotted your ideas down on.
5. Do not use the same password for more than 90 days. Create several variants of the same password and recycle them every 60 - 90 days. This adds an extra layer of security to your data. By recycling your password frequently you make your data 1000% more secure. You'll notice that most large corporates force their employees to change their password every month for this exact reason.
Hopefully these tips will help you choose a password that's both safe and secure and that you'll have some fun creating your new passwords too!
If you need a review of the spam blocker you intend buying then check out Spam-Site.com for spam blocker reviews.
Viruses are, however, not the only malicious software programs out... Read More
The movie Little Black Book features a young woman, Stacy,... Read More
This is not some new fangled techno-speak, it is a... Read More
There are folks out there who use their powers for... Read More
At this point, if you've got the whole "turning the... Read More
1. Geek Superhero http://www.deprice.com/geeksuperhero.htmGeek Superhero watches your computer for changes,... Read More
Saturday, MasterCard blamed a vendor of ALL credit card providers... Read More
If you run any type of Internet business, Adware and... Read More
It's late. You've been scouring the web for that perfect... Read More
In recent days, I was one of the unfortunate persons... Read More
You may not realize it, but as you are surfing... Read More
The average computer is packed with hidden software that can... Read More
Identity theft ? also known as ID theft, identity fraud... Read More
Nowadays more and more people are using a computer. A... Read More
Huge number of spyware software applications are available in the... Read More
P C. owners are constantly at risk from attacks by... Read More
When the Internet first came about, it was realized it... Read More
In today's times spyware is a very serious issue and... Read More
A firewall is a system or gateway that prevents unauthorized... Read More
You and I are a lot alike. We are both... Read More
Adware. Spyware. Pesky pop up ads. Internet congestion. Computer malfunctions... Read More
It's been with us since 1993, it's gotten more intrusive,... Read More
The Message Must Get Through ----------------------------- The year is 300A.D.,... Read More
Today,on most internet user's computers, we have the ability to... Read More
Have been an Internet user for more than 9 years,... Read More
In 1997, I decided after 15 years as a practicing... Read More
Before you enter your name, address or any other data... Read More
Long gone are the days that we could feel secure... Read More
While clicking from site to site on the internet you... Read More
So you want to know who your kids are chatting... Read More
First I would like to stress I am condoning the... Read More
Phishing in its "classic" variant is relatively well-known. Actually, 43.4... Read More
There you are busily typing away on your PC or... Read More
If you use emails actively in your communication, you must... Read More
A few nights ago I received an email from "2CO"... Read More
When it comes to reporting Internet scams most of us... Read More
There is nothing more important that password security in world... Read More
A friend called me one day and asked if I... Read More
Over £5 billion pounds was spent on online shopping in... Read More
Did you know...? 1 in 5 children who use computer... Read More
Industrial Espionage. These methodologies are being used on a daily... Read More
First the basic definition of Spyware: It is a type... Read More
This is the second in a series of articles highlighting... Read More
The internet is undoubtedly a fantastic resource for families and... Read More
Electronic Fraud and Identity Theft ----------------------------------- Human beings are pretty... Read More
IPv6, IntroductionThe high rate at wich the internet continualy evolves... Read More
Business on the internet is getting down right shameless. This... Read More
I got a virus the other day, Thursday I believe... Read More
Every now and then you can read about a new... Read More
To blog or not to blog? Well, why not? Lots... Read More
Internet Security Internet Security