Assuming that it is legal to do so in your state or province, running a contest on your website or forum is a wise idea. Contests can promote goodwill, stimulate interest in your site, and bring quality visitors back to your site time and again. The following tips will help you build a successful site without busting your advertising budget.
1. Be clear about your contest rules. Instead of just allowing anyone to participate, require all participants to be registered members to your site. If you run a forum, require a minimum number of posts [ten is a good place to start] from members before allowing their participation. Be clear about the prize[s] offered, any limitations/restrictions that may exist because of local laws, and state the contest beginning and ending dates. Once a winner has been determined, publish the winner's name and notify the winner personally via email.
2. Join affiliate programs for magazine subscription companies, book publishers, and CD companies. Magazines, books and music are some of the cheapest items to give away. Generally, if you purchase something from your affiliate program you will receive a heavy discount plus earn some of that money back in commissions.
3. Check with your advertisers and related vendors to see if there is interest on their part to offer a prize. In exchange, you can offer free advertising on your site, or write a favorable article about the vendor, or promise to refer customers to their site. Have the vendor ship the prize directly to the winner to avoid shipping and distribution expenses on your part.
4. When running a contest, a certain amount of hype is beneficial. I like to send registered members a broadcast email announcing the contest as well as posting links at various places on the site to make sure everyone has the chance to participate. On one of my message boards I have a separate category titled, "Contests, Drawings, Other Promotions." Two subsections are: Promotionals and Completed Contests. When I start a contest all the details are listed in a thread and posted on the Promotionals board. Once the contest has been ended, I update the thread by announcing the winner. The thread is then moved to the Completed Contest section where members can see what contests have been run on the site.
5. I like to run my contests in bunches and will often have a "contest month" where I give prizes away weekly. Sometimes I mix things up and do a monthly contest, but I'll also let several months go by before promoting another contest if I feel that the response rate is dropping.
6. Limit the number of awards anyone can receive. I restrict entrants from winning more than once in a ninety day period to allow others to have the opportunity to win. You want to encourage participation -- and thereby increase web traffic -- by having as many different winners as possible.
Ultimately, contests provide goodwill to your members. You are telling them, in effect, that they have an opportunity to win a prize with no expectation for anything in return from them. This "no strings attached" policy will help you build a solid base of members and can send your site into the upper reaches of the internet.
Matt runs contests from his message board community for business flight attendants at http://www.cabinmanagers.com. Check out this site for additional contest ideas and the rules he sets by looking at the two categories found under his "Contests, Drawings, Other Promotions" section. The Corporate Flight Attendant Community is the top performing site in its category which Matt attributes, in part, to the contests he has run over the years.
Business is war.To get to the top, you must fight... Read More
With the increase competition on the Internet, it can be... Read More
There was a time when reciprocal linking was a number... Read More
1. Give Away An Electronic Information Product The product could... Read More
Creating a new website is only the first stage in... Read More
Hundreds of millions of people have spent thousands of dollars... Read More
It's easy to forget the fundamental components of Web site... Read More
Content One of the best ways to encourage website owners... Read More
1. Generate Targeted Traffic from Online Discussion Forums.Online discussion forums... Read More
The most successful advertising is obviously expensive. There are ways... Read More
Good Ideas.They are the stuff that form the foundation of... Read More
When webmasters have created their final master piece, their next... Read More
Yahoo! allows you to set up your own front page... Read More
If you've subscribed to an seo newsletter for longer than... Read More
You have permission to publish this article electronically or... Read More
1. Tell people you have a siteThis might seem blindingly... Read More
For the first time internet entrepreneur [newbie] the best ways... Read More
Giving away content is a powerful way to get free... Read More
Getting targeted web site traffic from other people's websites is... Read More
Most website owners fail to differentiate between a directory and... Read More
If you have a website promoting any product or service,... Read More
Web site owners are realizing Jack Humphrey's Power Linking isn't... Read More
We will start with the best, than make our way... Read More
Bring those visitors back for more, applauding you and saying... Read More
The latest trend in online marketing focuses on local search.... Read More
When you build your website you need to have a... Read More
First Generation - The Popup Popups, if you're somehow, strangely,... Read More
Do you want to make your website more profitable?If you... Read More
Let's see here... as of today Google states it has... Read More
"One in a million". What do I mean by that?... Read More
Ok. So you've got your website done and stocked with... Read More
We all know the many "free" traffic producing avenues. We... Read More
How would like to have an email list of thousands... Read More
Before you spend your hard earned money, why not first... Read More
Writing and distributing articles is fast becoming a popular method... Read More
Most people who are not doing well on the internet... Read More
Measuring and understanding your Website's success is a critical process... Read More
Many people miss out on some very valuable promotion opportunities... Read More
Here are some simple and easy tips on how to... Read More
When you design a website you should create it so... Read More
The beauty of the Internet is that it allows you... Read More
Creating a sense of credibility for your product and website... Read More
We will start with the best, than make our way... Read More
Do you want to advertise about your website?Wait and have... Read More
Fresh Web Content Yields Better Search Engine ResultsAll too often,... Read More
If you are a small business owner with a website,... Read More
At present there are over 3.3 billion pages indexed by... Read More
Professionals in tend to under-estimate the power of the web... Read More
One of the most frequent questions I get asked by... Read More
The following traffic generating ideas do not require costly set-up... Read More
Web Site Promotion Web Site Promotion