So, you've bought a new Macintosh, and now you may be wondering how to make it safer. There are several things that you can do which will protect your Mac from viruses and hackers. Macs are already very difficult to hack, but don't let that fact allow you to become lenient with your security.
1. Download all of the software updates available. This seems like a no-brainer, but some Mac users forget to download the newest updates. You can even set your computer to automatically download new updates. However, some dial-up users encounter trouble when trying to downloaded updates. If you are a dial-up user, the best suggestion is to leave your Mac on overnight and let it download. Apple releases many programs that fix bugs in iLife applications, and in Mac OS X. Probably the most important of these updates are the security updates. Apple periodically offers security updates for its operating systems (Panther and Tiger).
2. Be careful what you download. Some people use P2P downloads for Macintosh (I.E. Poisoned). Be careful when downloading using a P2P because you do not know where the music or file is coming from. Some P2P users specifically make corrupted files to send via music downloading programs. Generally, it is a good idea to stick to iTunes, because those files are ACC Protected and offered through Apple so they certainly won't have viruses.
3. Choose the best and safest Internet Browser. Safari comes standard on all new Macs as part of iLife. However, some people do not enjoy Safari as much as others. Some say that Safari is not as safe from hackers as other browsers. Safari can also be a problem if you are going to a web page that requires a version of Internet Explorer or Netscape to view it. You can download Internet Explorer and Netscape for Mac, but again, some believe that these browsers are not as safe from hackers. Many people believe that Mozilla Firefox (my personal favorite) is the safest browser to use because of its customizable features. Firefox is available for downloading on the Macintosh.
4. Don't be afraid to buy anti-virus software. If you have to download files from the internet as part of a job or hobby, then it is probably a good idea to have some sort of anti-virus software on your Macintosh. Apple provides a wide-variety of anti-virus software that is constantly updated.
5. Finally, keep an eye on those e-mail attachments and instant messages. Some hackers have programmed viruses to IM you from one of your friends' screen names. Don't click on any link without knowing what it is first. Most e-mail providers use virus scans automatically, but you should always be extra careful when downloading an attachment. If it is from someone you do not know, don't trust it.
Apple computers are very safe from hackers, but they can always be improved. Keeping a computer safe, and running well requires a great amount of time and energy. Just remember that if your computer is safe, your Apple experience will be much more rewarding.
Paulo Fretowski enjoys writing about computers because he uses them for his job with BizNicheMedia.
How many steps does it take you to locate and... Read More
Anyone who has ever used Microsoft Word knows that it... Read More
What is Tripwire?Tripwire is a form intrusion detection system (IDS)... Read More
There are certain pluses and minuses in both cases and... Read More
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a way for a site... Read More
Microsoft Great Plains is main mid-market application from Microsoft Business... Read More
This article will not attempt to advocate the use of... Read More
Microsoft Great Plains is one of three Microsoft Business Solutions... Read More
In today's business world it's all but impossible to escape... Read More
The Internet is reshaping every form of communications medium, and... Read More
Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains is mid and even corporate... Read More
Now that spyware is the single most dangerous threat to... Read More
In part III of this ISDN primer, we learned that... Read More
Introduction: The creating of a computer program involves a number... Read More
If you have Microsoft Great Plains as main accounting and... Read More
Every organization which creates collaborative documents, whether they are budgets,... Read More
Ad-Aware and Spybot are probably the two most well known... Read More
The Windows registry is a huge database that ensures normal... Read More
In the Clinton era the status quo was simple: you... Read More
Once a business idea is selected, it is highly recommended... Read More
One of the things we can be as certain of... Read More
Java has come along a long way. Many would agree... Read More
An operating system (abbreviated OS) is essentially the path through... Read More
Need help making sense of algebra? Have algebra lectures in... Read More
Most people understand that the "hardware" part of their computer... Read More
There is many things more frustrating than surfing a website... Read More
Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains has several options to enable... Read More
Whether you have used Microsoft Word for years, have just... Read More
MSN messenger is a pretty cool invention. I mean I'm... Read More
Fundraising software lets you connect with donors in a way... Read More
Most computer users use spreadsheets software such as Microsoft Excel... Read More
Looks like Microsoft Great Plains becomes more and more popular,... Read More
Considering whether or not your software company should hire a... Read More
Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains is very good fit for... Read More
We live in a post-industrial age where information is the... Read More
If you have been running Windows XP for a couple... Read More
Just stress testing one of the latest Linux distributions. Been... Read More
In the case when you represent mid-size or mid-size-to-large business,... Read More
Microsoft Business Solutions main middle market ERP application - Microsoft... Read More
Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains fits to majority of horizontal... Read More
The intuitive algorithm.Roger Penrose considered it impossible. Thinking could never... Read More
Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains is marketed for mid-size companies... Read More
It won't matter how effective your WinRunner Team is if... Read More
There are two major WYSIWYG(What You See Is What You... Read More
I have always had a tendency to focus on the... Read More
In a previous article, I wrote about OpenOffice... Read More
When you need a phone number, you do a quick... Read More
Every day millions of new web documents emerge on the... Read More
Around the same time Microsoft made its move with .Net... Read More
Are Spreadsheets Robbing your Enterprise of Competitive Advantage?'90% of "average"... Read More