The landing page or entry page of your visitors is the most important page to your website. This page is likely to be your home page if you happen to be promoting your website url http://www.yourdomain.com more often than your other sub-directory pages as in http://www.yourdomain.com/sub-directory-page.
Your visitor, who is a very busy individual, is not very likely to stay for more than a minute if you fail to capture his attention once he lands on your website. When your visitor lands on your page, he or she is likely to have the thought "What is in it for me?" You must be able to capture his or her attention on what is immediately visible before he or spends more time browsing your website.
So what information you put above the fold is crucial. Above the fold means what appears on the screen in the browser, without the need for your visitor to scroll down or to the right of your sales page.
Here are 6 easy ways to create and improve on your landing page:
1. Consider having an opt-in box or box to capture your visitor's email contact on the entry page.
It is recommended to have an opt-in box at all cost. Statistics show that your online customer needs to visit your website at least 7 times of exposure before he or she purchases anything. Therefore, your single most important job is to capture his or her contact information. You can then maintain email contact and remind him or her to visit your website again.
2. Make your opt-in box visible. Some examples on how to make it visible include:
* Choose a background colour for the subscription box to make it stand out. You are in fact, creating a visual to draw your visitor's eyes to the opt-in box.
* Placement of the subscription box should be preferably above the fold or in a pop-up. However, do note that more recently, the latter (pop-up) option has proven to be less effective in getting opt-ins due to over-usage by website owners.
* Offer a freebie to get your opt-in and spell out this freebie clearly near the subscription box. This makes it easier for the visitor to mentally connect the freebie to opting in.
3. Have a killer headline. The headline must promise the single most important benefit to your visitor. Use killer words for instance like amazing, breakthrough, instantly and finally, and make your headline stand out with a bigger font or bolding it.
4. Also, pay special attention to the top few lines following the headline and those that appear above the fold. I suggest that you try having 2 or 3 sub-benefits as your top few sentences, after your killer headline.
5. Use images that help. One example is to include your own photo if you are branding yourself as an expert in a particular niche.
6. Avoid using excessively large image files. I have seen a couple of websites that put in too many images on their landing page and as it took forever to load, I left without waiting.
After creating your landing page, you must continue to keep testing and improving it. It can be changing your killer headlines, the background colour of your opt-in box or even the banner image that you put right at the top. I change my landing page every once in a while, to track responses. I hope you do too!
Evelyn Lim is an online publisher of a FREE newsletter "Mapping You to Success". Her aim is to equip her readers with skills to acquire multiple sources of online income. To subscribe to her newsletter, please visit http://www.e-BizMap.com or visit her blog "Online Home Business journals from Singapore" at http://www.evelynlim.com.
Sin #5Poor Spelling And GrammarWe all make mistakes when we... Read More
To build a website, there are four methods to choose... Read More
To explain my point I need to first confuse the... Read More
Avoid these mistakes and your site will be steps ahead... Read More
In this era of ultra-sophisticated internet marketing and web design,... Read More
As part of your event planning you should seriously consider... Read More
Designing your website means you have to be creative, plan... Read More
Read the title of this article over a couple of... Read More
Back to basics. Forget funky design, good copywriting is the... Read More
The question that I most frequently hear from people is... Read More
It starts off simply; a few HTML pages, a few... Read More
A "404 Error" happens when the web server you are... Read More
Before I discovered the concept of Web site templates, I... Read More
Your website is your tool for showing the online community... Read More
Do use a consistent look and feel Your site should... Read More
A question we frequently get asked is, "how do we... Read More
So your web site's online and you've got high rankings... Read More
You know that I'm always extolling the virtues of an... Read More
CSS or Cascading Style Sheets has opened up tremendous possibilities... Read More
If you need a web designer, but have no clue... Read More
If you're running a website or online business, your number... Read More
Content is undoubtedly the most important element of a website.... Read More
Designing your own successful web page can seem difficult and... Read More
A website should firstly be searched out by visitors before... Read More
Tips to brand your websiteInclude your logo in all pages.... Read More
Dear web site visitor.I can't tell you how glad I... Read More
You have probably viewed many Flash-based components while surfing the... Read More
Due to the large number of people offering website design... Read More
For most people graphic design does not come easy. Unfortunately... Read More
Learning how to convert visitors to your web site into... Read More
Websites that have multiple pages usually have a Frequently Asked... Read More
Want to see an excellently constructed website? As a writer... Read More
Page ranking by search engines such as Google are not... Read More
You have good traffic, but low client sign ups and... Read More
If you are going to be placing ads on your... Read More
Well, a logo for your business. Why is it important?... Read More
You've designed your logo, and you're ready to print your... Read More
Are you a student of graphic design? If you have... Read More
First impressions are extremely important if you hope to do... Read More
Countdown to Armageddon - at least you'd think so judging... Read More
When your web site sells more than a dozen items,... Read More
You've made your website, added a great title and keywords... Read More
How many times have you clicked on a website only... Read More
Let's face it. Building a web site that browses consistently... Read More
If you are anything like me, your website is a... Read More
QUESTION: My business is very small, just me and... Read More
What's happening to good web site design? Somehow we creative... Read More
Almost everything is available on the web? products, services, e-books,... Read More
1. Lack of overall strategy and clear definition of success:Most... Read More
Now that you have decided that it is time to... Read More
Web Design Web Design