Are you an expectant parent anxiously waiting for that little package of joy? Yet, you and your spouse are still looking for that perfect name? Well...fret no more! The list of the top 100 baby names may be the answer to your prayers.
Searching for your baby's name is loads of fun! Whether you're seeking a name for your soon-to-be baby boy or baby girl, you and your spouse should be curious about what names in the top 100 are currently hot.
What is particularly interesting is tracking the popularity of baby names over the decades. In looking through baby name lists from 1880 to the present, some amusing patterns emerge, particularly in regards to baby names for girls.
For example, in Victorian times, Biblical names such as Mary, Sarah and Ruth were very popular for baby girls. There were also many baby names that are now considered very old-fashioned like Martha, Alice, Bertha and Minnie.
From the 1920s to the 1950s certain baby names rose in popularity. These included names such as Susan, Debbie, Patricia, and Linda. All of these baby names have since waned, to be replaced, by the 1980s, with fancier names such as Jennifer, Jessica and Nicole.
However, according to the new top 100 baby names, there's been a lot of renewed interest in the more "old-fashioned" names like Hannah, Abigail and Ethan, plus many Biblical names such as Sarah, Rachel, Joshua, Jacob, and Samuel. There's also been a surge in nontraditional baby names including Madison, Ashley and Brianna for baby girls, and Brandon and Logan for baby boys.
When naming a baby there are, of course, many other points to consider besides how popular or unique a name is. Here are some helpful tips that you can use with your spouse and immediate family in choosing a name for the new baby and to make the process fun:
1. Baby names need to go nicely with the sound of your last name. Also, pick a first name and a middle name that go together well. (So maybe not something like Erasmus Beelzebub Jones!)
2. When your family finds a name you all like, observe the initials to be sure that you don't give your new baby a name with initials that will make people laugh or cause teasing by his or her peers. (For example: Pamela Iris Greer, which equals pig!)
3. You might not want a baby name that is so unusual that the other kids will make fun of your child in school which could result in low self esteem. So please do not be selfish when choosing a name.
4. You also might not want a baby name that is so trendy that it will sound funny by the time the baby is ten years old. (For example... Sunshine.)
5. Be careful not to pick a name that's really cute for an adorable little baby but will sound silly when your little one grows up. (For example, Dimples or Cutie Pie.)
6. Avoid baby names that might produce insulting nicknames when people shorten them. (So maybe not Smellonius, or Smelly for short !)
7. You and your family might not want a name that is so hard to spell or to pronounce that people will always get it wrong and therefore, your poor son or daughter will have to go through their entire life correcting people.
8. You and your family might want to pick baby names in honor of favorite relatives or ancestors, or special names that show your family's ethnic roots. You may even want to borrow a name from one of your favorite celebrities or sports athelete.
9. Study the top 100 baby names and choose one that has a special meaning that you like - maybe something that means "strong" or "kind" or "brave".
10. Look at your own family names and see if using any name combinations create unusual baby names you like. Ask other family members for their suggestions, even invite your friends to give you their opinions. Does a relative have a name you like? Be careful if the name is already being used. Ask other family members to be sure your favorite unusual baby names are not given to relatives. It can become confusing in families when two people have the same names.
Have fun and enjoy viewing the top 100 baby names when choosing your child's names. Celebrate the moment. You will find out it was worth every minute spent deciding upon that baby boy or baby girl name...a name that will identify them for their lifetime.
Christy Hollis is editor and Vice President of Online Shopping 101. She is available at http://www.online-shopping-101.com. Take a look at the most recent top 100 baby names at http://www.onli ne-shopping-101.com/top-100-baby-names/top-100-baby-names.html. A whole world awaits your curious eyes and eager hands. Discover the internet's unique bargain gem...Where Shoppers Totally Click!
A long distance baby shower is for when mothers won't... Read More
A baby crib is one of the most expensive things... Read More
As a baby matures and starts to show the first... Read More
Did You Know:Men are officially the best at changing baby!... Read More
If you're at the stage of wanting to organise a... Read More
If you're a new parent, be aware that you baby... Read More
All parents want something absolutely unique for their baby. Be... Read More
Setting the Stage - Reading is One of the Big... Read More
As a prospective parent, you may wonder how hard it... Read More
Is your baby about to start solid foods? Are you... Read More
Breast milk is the most natural food for your baby,... Read More
Perfect Baby shower idea lists for necessity type baby gifts.... Read More
There are multitudes of ways to purchase used clothing for... Read More
Your Cancer Baby..June 21 - July 22A Cancer child can... Read More
Having a family day out is not exactly stress free,... Read More
When you plan for a baby room decor, the best... Read More
Great baby shower decorations are more about using your imagination... Read More
Congratulations! It is a great honour your friends have done... Read More
How To Clone The Perfect BabySheep, Cows, pigs, mice, donkeys,... Read More
The experts often tell us that in order to ensure... Read More
Having a baby is exciting, but also very tough! There... Read More
There is something so amazing and joyous about watching a... Read More
Baby poems and baby shower poems can express any sentiment.... Read More
Are you unsure whether you should make your own baby... Read More
Your baby's first year is filled with many challenges and... Read More
From birth to one year your baby will go from... Read More
Expectant parents spend hours preparing the nursery, poring over pregnancy... Read More
As you probably know, baby expense should be high on... Read More
A furniture gift registry helps us streamline to the best... Read More
Sleeping..A newborn baby spends most of her time on two... Read More
A new baby brings a lot of joy and hope... Read More
Take Your Time The worst thing you could do when... Read More
Are YOUR Stuffed Animals DIRTY?Stuffed animals and dollies can lead... Read More
Sounds great ? doesn't it?Or does it sound too good... Read More
Babies can communicate their needs and desires a lot earlier... Read More
Planning on having a wedding or baby shower soon? Getting... Read More
When you plan for a baby room decor, the best... Read More
At least one third of households have their TV turned... Read More
Decorating a nursery for your new baby can be a... Read More
The choice for a baby or an infant gift can... Read More
Once your baby is out of their crib and playpen,... Read More
Many moms like to think that as soon as their... Read More
As a parent, you've learned a lot while your child... Read More
For ages caring parents have carried their babies with them... Read More
Most babies and kids with reflux will have typical symptoms... Read More
It is an unfortunate fact of life but, unfortunately, toddlers... Read More
As a host, you need to consider the people that... Read More
Baby Rooibos Tea is naturally good for your baby. It... Read More
Reading is one of the most important things you will... Read More
Any parent of an active toddler has asked this question:... Read More
Babies & Toddler Babies & Toddler