If you have an entertainment website then you're always looking for fresh, new, fun and interesting material to keep your readers coming back for more. Movie reviews are a great way to do that. People always want to know what someone else thinks about the movie they want to see and they will scour the web to look for these opinions. Now you could syndicate another site's reviews, but why do that? You want your readers to be loyal to you and your site and honestly, they want to hear what you have to say and what you think. If you're thinking you haven't the foggiest idea on how to write fun, compelling movie reviews, then think again. I'm going to tell you all you need to know.
1. Actively Watch the Movie ? Yes, I recognize that movie watching is a passive activity. Watching a movie isn't something you do, it is something that happens to you. However, if you want to write good reviews you have to learn to look at movies with a critical eye. This means you need to pay attention to everything and I mean Everything. Notice how the actors are placed in each shot, the setting, the camera angles, even the music. All of these elements play a role in the story that is trying to be told and are important to talk about if you want to write the compelling sort of reviews that your readers will stop by your site each week to read. .
2. Take Copious Notes ? No, I don't expect you to sit in a theatre with pen and pad or laptop in hand. But I do expect you to take solid mental notes. Information such as the actor's names or who the director was is easy to come across, but information like camera shots, or plot devices is not, so you need to train yourself not only to watch for that type of information but also to remember it.
3. Summarize. Don't Spoil. ? This is important. Nothing is worse then reading a review that tells the whole movie from beginning to end and leaves nothing for you to see. People want your opinion, not for you to spoil the movie. A basic summation of the plot is all that is necessary. From there you can talk about whether or not the plot worked well or was the plot even a plot at all. Let the details of the film be revealed when your readers see the film, not when they read your review.
4. Critical Analysis is Key ? The difference between a review anyone can write and a review people will clamor to read is in how well you analyze the film. Think about those papers you had to write for lit class in college. The professor didn't want you to just tell him what the book was about but wanted you to break down the themes in the book and how they related to the plot, the characters, etc. Well the same is true for a movie review. No one wants a summary of events or the plot. A good review will examine the themes or ideas the movie raises and talk about how well or not so well the movie executed those themes and ideas.
5. Point Out the Pros and the Cons ? No movie is perfect and rarely is any movie all bad, so take the time to talk about what the movies does well and what it does not so well.
6. Be Original ? For some folk it is two thumbs up, for others it is rotten tomatoes. Whatever you decide you want your rating system to be, be original. Try to find a hook that works for you. Just don't do something that closely resembles someone else or you'll just seem like a bad copy of the original.
Follow these steps and you'll be writing the best reviews the web has to offer and your readers will constantly come back for more week in and week out. Happy writing.
(C) 2005 Tamika Johnson
Tamika Johnson is a freelance writer and editor and chief of Prologue, the best arts and entertainment online community the web has to offer. To read more articles by Tamika and to receive FREE tips on how to be a successful writer visit http://www.prologuezine.com
Article marketing has become very popular of late, especially with... Read More
It's no secret that writing and publishing helpful articles is... Read More
1. Choose A Topic.You need to choose either a hot... Read More
If you are starving for traffic, can't seem to consistently... Read More
Much has been touted about the effectiveness of article writing... Read More
Every day thousands of people join affiliate programs and yet... Read More
I once wrote an article in which I offered the... Read More
Some six weeks ago, I began writing and submitting articles... Read More
How many times have you read the following? If you... Read More
To be successful at any affiliate marketing program, you not... Read More
How to write an informative article?The following tips can help... Read More
It is important for all webmasters to realize that if... Read More
Is Putting your Articles in the Public Domain really a... Read More
There are two primary factors in creating a successful reference... Read More
I am often approached and asked, how do I write... Read More
Not writing articles yet? You really should try it, if... Read More
The sources of inspiration are all around us, in the... Read More
Online writing is really self-publishing made easier and potentially much... Read More
I'm betting that that 3 out of 4 of you... Read More
Article Marketing Connects you Directly to Readers Even brilliantly-written articles... Read More
***What is the Resource box?'Resource box' is an information box... Read More
Evaluation of a Home-Run ArticleI've been writing articles and posting... Read More
Article Marketing Builds Momentum and TrafficWhen I started submitting articles... Read More
A "Thought Leader" is someone recognized as an authority in... Read More
It is a well known fact that writing, distributing and... Read More
Do you know one of the most powerful marketing techniques... Read More
Article marketing is becoming more and more popular, especially as... Read More
Whether you own your own affiliate website, or subscription website,... Read More
Have you ever wondered why Ezine Articles have become one... Read More
It's amazing how quickly free articles can generatetraffic - my... Read More
What's the most powerful marketing technique on the Web? Search... Read More
Anyone who's been in the business for 2 or 3... Read More
Online publishers, ezine subscribers, and Web visitors want short, useful... Read More
How are you marketing your articles? As a writer prospecting... Read More
Being an Internet Article Author is far and away the... Read More
A "Thought Leader" is someone recognized as an authority in... Read More
Writers have one basic need -- readers. We all want... Read More
There's a new sort of ghost stalking the digital landscape.They... Read More
IntroductionThere are two ways to submit to magazine editors.One is... Read More
When I was first advised to start writing articles, this... Read More
Writing articles is one of the best and most effective... Read More
There are many ancient writings, which dive into the importance... Read More
People love to hear stories. They'll identify with what you... Read More
One of the best ways to build credibility and promote... Read More
Whatever you're selling, writing articles to distribute freely amongst webmasters... Read More
As of July 1st, the year was half over! July... Read More
One of my subscribers writes 'I can't hold my tongue... Read More
Looking for another no cost promotional tool? Your fee will... Read More
Publishers and webmasters can spend massive amounts of time just... Read More
Writing articles is one of the best ways to get... Read More
Article Writing Article Writing